Friday 24 February 2012

Menswear Day AW12: A Few Highlights

Despite sitting outside of the traditional calendar, London's Menswear Day has continued to grow in stature and importance over the last few seasons. Having now outgrown itself AW12 was the last in its present form. Wednesday's action packed day was a fitting culmination of an eventful evolution. Once again presentations, catwalk shows and installations all celebrated the exciting diversity of menswear design talent that uniquely exists and bubbles away in this capital of ours. As always it has been hugely exciting to see stalwarts of Savile Row sit so comfortably alongside high street regulars, established designers and enthralling new talent alike. The entire schedule helped cause a sartorial stir or two whilst collectively flying the flag of great British menswear and tiring me out in the process as I buzzed my way from talent to talent.

There were so many highlights that I'm quite overwhelmed. From the MAN trio of  Astrid AndersenAgi & Sam and Shaun Samson managing to serve something quite different whilst complementing one another to create a truly memorable show to falling head over Dr Martens heels for Lou Dalton's wartime love affair, William Richard Green's table football playing hooligan inspired functional tailored sportswear to Marwood's carefully crafted neck wear, the day had it all. So, where do I start? Given that my SD card is packed with moments to savour and my brain is close to overload, I think it best to serve up an assortment of snapshots from the day...

IMG_9797
IMG_0005
IMG_9987
IMG_0473
IMG_0485
IMG_0185
IMG_0061
IMG_9886
IMG_9889
IMG_9840
IMG_9858
IMG_0319
IMG_0292
IMG_0234
IMG_0211
IMG_0380
IMG_0342
IMG_0351
IMG_0305
IMG_0398

I hope my imagery above helps demonstrate the diversity of menswear talent that we are treated to in the capital during the last of these special days. The day itself might have flashed right by my excited eyes but these moments (in addition to many not shared above) confirmed just how far Menswear Day has come. I cannot wait to see the next stage in its development. If this has whet your appetite for more detail about the day, prepare for much more meatier posts in the coming weeks ahead.

4 comments:

Heroika Magazine said...

Great !!

http://www.younglington.wordpress.com

Matthew Spade said...

come on, bring the rest on. i' haven't seen many up close shots so i'm well looking forward to some

Style Salvage Steve said...

YoUngLiNgToN: Thanks.
Mat: Ha, good things come to those who wait Mat! You know me, I love a good detail shot.

Anonymous said...

martine rose in there at all?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails