Monday 22 February 2010

LFW: Showroom Next Door: Bruno Chaussignand

The missed but not forgotten tortoiseshell specs by Bruno Chaussignand Lunettes

Continuing my excited ramblings on the wonders inside the Showroom Next Door, I would like to introduce you to Bruno Chaussignand Lunettes. Actually scrap that. It really should be a case of re-introducing you. Do the wonderfully crafted tortoise shell glasses shown above appear familiar to you? Well, they should because an identical pair used to sit proudly on my nose. For a few months happy we were inseparable...(oh what amazing days they were)...but then, on one drunken night they fell off, never to be seen again...that is until now...


Although the story might be hard for me to recite...it is one I surely must tell because lessons need to be learned. I had searched the streets and stalked the Internet for months on end on the quest to uncover the perfect pair of tortoiseshell spectacles. I tried on a great number of frames but none of them felt right, that was until a good friend recommended Spex In The City to me. Of course I chuckled at the name but as soon as I was inside this independent opticians located just off Seven Dials in Covent Garden, I knew that I would discover the right ones. It was then, that the lovely proprietor, Gillian Caplan first introduced me to Bruno Chaussignand Lunettes and my ideal frames. It was instantly apparent that Bruno Chaussignand Lunettes take great pride in the exceptionally high quality of materials and workmanship that goes into producing each individual frame. The moment I first put them on back in August last year I fell head over heels and invested in a pair. Over the course of the next few months I rarely took them off because I felt somewhat naked without them sitting astride my nose. Like all good frames, they became an extension of my face. However, on one particular night, New Years Eve to be precise, I really should have left them at home. Instead I wore them to a duuuurty warehouse party in Dalston where I drank far too much bring your own booze and danced a little too hard. During a particularly raucous, audacious but ultimately disappointing move they flew off my nose and in to the black hole that was the dance floor. From that moment on I have squinted and strained rather than wear any of the frames lying in the graveyard of specs located in my bottom desk drawer.


I loved the Showroom Next Door because in addition to the opportunity to inspect new collection up close it allowed the chance to learn more about the labels involved by speaking to the people involved. The story of Bruno Chaussignand Lunettes is really the story of lifelong friends, Bruno Chaussignand, and Sandie Ortola. Their common passion for design and travel forged during a ten year friendship, which thankfully for us, inspired them to channel their creativity and excellence into eye wear. Rebuking current mass market production techniques, Bruno Chaussignand Lunettes hand-make each frame in France. These are then polished over three days to ensure a smooth and seamless finish, free from all superfluities. Lacquer is not applied at any time in production of the frames; all-natural materials are used to safeguard against potential allergy risks. Now that I have been reminded of the quality and craftsmanship, not to mention the obvious aesthetic appeal of the Bruno Chaussignand Lunettes selection it is time to invest in a new pair of glasses and while I'm at it, I might just pick up a pair of sunglasses... and I promise treat them with the respect that they deserve because I dont want to lose another pair!

I love the reflective lenses in these beautiful frames.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow - this is a great post, as it shows that whilst you love clothes etc... you still have your flaws like the rest of us and can make mistakes. I think it happens to us all. I still regret hurriedly pulling out a jumper to wear and ripping the sleeve. Anyway, glad you managed to find another pair and i welcome more mishaps as it just makes this blog more human and realistic than rarified.

Ernest

StyleSalvage said...

Ernest: Ha, if only I were some kind of fashion blogging robot. I will strive to take better care of my new frames. Did you manage to rescue your jumper?

Anonymous said...

I did indeed manage to rescue the jumper but it took a lot of effort and was boring to do. Maybe others could share their disasters? I have also managed to shrink a dry clean only shirt from Japan and rip an amazing vintage leather jacket - but sometimes these things happen or at least that is what I keep telling myself.

Ernest

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you like the frames!! I purchased a pair about a year ago and cant live without them.... WE LOVE BC

Alexia x

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails