Tuesday 1 February 2011

Experimenting with Bunney

Dipping a cautious toe in the waters of men's jewellery thanks to Bunney.

Now, regular readers will know that I struggle with men's jewellery. However, whilst blogging I have encountered two designers, Hannah Martin and Andrew Bunney, that have opened my eyes to this previously daunting realm of shiny embellishment. The latter, Bunney started in 2009 as a jewellery line that seeks to make simple things look beautiful, intriguing and understandable. Andrew Bunney longed to create objects that look like something one may be used to yet recast in a new light with precious metals, becoming new, yet at the same time, familiar. Ultimately, Bunney was drawn to the idea of coming up with something everybody or anybody could wear...even nervous individuals like myself. For the last few seasons, he has been quietly navigating an elegant and refined men's jewellery offering that have grabbed my attention and have left me reaching for my wallet. Last September I finally invested in a few items.


As you should all know by now, Bunney evolved from a single item - a large size silver pyramid stud which came in a set of three, in to a magpies heaven during the last instalment of the Showroom Next Door. However, as the Bunney range grows, his desire to create something quite unisex and versatile remains. Made by craftsmen in workshops around England, each piece is finished with care and attention before being hallmarked at the Goldsmiths’ Company, responsible since 1300 for testing the quality of gold and silver. I opted for the hammered badge and a slightly smaller version of the pyramid stud set. I picked the latter up over the weekend and have been experimenting with them ever since.


One of the facets that makes style in this country so exciting is how people can appropriate and interpret items and use them in a way unique to themselves. The pieces are meant for use with clothing and encourage the wearer to consider and compose a variety of combinations. Bunney says the concept focuses on giving freedom to the wearer “you wear them how you want, on a jacket or a shirt, together or separately”. The entire line not only facilitates individuality but downright encourages it. Ever since I first talked through the label with Andrew Bunney, I've daydreamed about my picks and the myriad of ways in which they will be worn. Over the last few days, I've experimented for real...

Two of the three pyramid studs worn with Crombie by ASOS Black, breton by E. Tautz and shirt by Patrik Ervell.  

Two of the three pyramid studs worn on the collar of Lanvin shirt under a sweater by COS

One of the three pyramid studs worn on the lapel of suit jacket by J.A Daye.

Inspired by Bunney's SS10 look book which showcase the likes of Clare de Rouen and Mr Hare wearing their choices extremely well and uniquely, I have strived to wear the studs a different way each day.  I might just be dipping one cautious toe in the the previously uncharted waters of jewellery but the likes of Andrew Bunney are tempting me to jump right in. 

13 comments:

nadine ahmad said...

simple and effective...i like it.

Denimoholic said...

I always loved the concept of studds, it gives the clothing a very worked on and history kind of thing. This thing in its minimal form is just awesome. I mean i like it, looks total chic and funk.



www.denimoholic.blogspot.com

Fashion Philosopher said...

You are right, men and jewelery is a difficult topic. I think the studs are really stylish but in a more sophisticated, simple way. I like them especially worn on the shirt collar. Another item which I find interesting to use is a collar pin. B- store did a polo shirt last season on which they incorporated a collar pin which looks a bit like a piercing jewel. The Fashion Philosopher

Izzy said...

Dive in! Your taste in anything sartorial is impeccable, I find it hard to imagine you making a bad choice in jewelry. And wow, these Bunney studs are quite versatile! I'd like to see them in different shapes, maybe a round button shape?

Terry said...

Hey Steve! Which season is the cos sweater from?

Sean Santiago said...

haha, and I don't mean this disparagingly, but that's barely jewelry! Where's the Rachel Zoe glamour? Gold and baubles and chains...jewelry is like my new favorite thing ever, but it's true I don't wear most of my pieces as often as I could because they really add something to an outfit that your other pieces have to contend with and sometimes I just can't be bothered! Good to find a new brand though, and hopefully we'll see some more courageous jewelry-wearing in the near future :p

Cindy Van Dyck said...

This outfit is amazing! I really love it! xx

fashionsdirtylaundry said...

Love The Studs! Mixing punk rock with Kempt Style. NIICE!

Corve DaCosta said...

I'd like one

Snappylifestyle said...

Simple and nice.
xsnappy

ttv said...

That's a trademark of perfectness.

jamie said...

hey love yr blog check out http://burnsyla.com totally your style!

-jamie
p.s keep up the fashion forward posts!

Ian said...

These really are quite a lovely little accessory and while any steps taken which allow men to be as adventurous in fashion terms as the female of the species, I do have to agree with Santiago, until designers can come up with proper "Jewelery" for men (sorry but I really don't consider these studs jewelery) I think men will struggle to evolve past wedding bands and tacky holiday chains!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails