Sunday 23 September 2012

Weekend Reading: Fantastic Man and the gentlewoman

IMG_1862

I woke up in a delicate state this morning and before I could wipe the sleep from my eyes I was greeted with a percussion of throbbing head and gentle tap of rain against the window. Ignoring the desire to pull the duvet over my head, I quickly reached out for the latest issues of Fantastic Man and the gentlewoman. Sandwiched between the contents of the Oliver Sim and Angela Lansbury covered publications, my weary brain soon felt invigorated. A ménage à trois for the mind (possibly nightmares if you really think about it).

The sixteenth issue of Fantastic Man (where does the time go?) is a delightfully substantial one weighing in at two hundred and ninety four pages. Initial flick through highlights include Frankie Goes to Hollywood's Holly Johnson embarking on a fashion odyssey, a beautiful instructional manual for the noble pursuit of ironing and Jonathan Saunders working up a sweat. As always it is difficult to put down but with the adored legend of stage and screen that is Angela Lansbury cheekily smiling on the cover of its sister publication, I had to. Lansbury leads a cast of some of the most remarkable and captivating women who are all profiled in this edition of the gentlewoman. From intrepid shopkeeper Leila McAlister to incomparable artist Tauba Auerbach, retail powerhouse Alannah Weston to the xx’s charming Romy Madley Croft, it is a treat to discover. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go back to bed.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails