Sunday 21 November 2010

A Visit To LN-CC


There have been excited whispers and murmured opinions about the launch of a store in deepest, darkest Dalston for months now. Even before the unveiling of its online platform in August the industry's collective heart was all a flutter and this only intensified as details about the physical venture were circulated. Fashion month was rife with chitter and chatter around a certain odd mouthful in Late Night Chameleon Cafe. The John Skelton factor. The little point of a six thousand square foot space on Shacklewell Lane. Set designer Gary Card being tasked to create a next level retail space. An impressive roster of design talent.  The appetite was whet and expectation sky rocketed. Last Thursday was opening night and before the space was filled with wowed fashion folk, future consumers and appreciative onlookers alike, I was afforded the opportunity to explore the impressive innards of LN-CC. I did not leave disappointed.    

Within their six thousand square foot, former boxing gym space, the talented team have created a mind blowing retail space. A visit to this concept store entails, a forest, an octagon wooden tunnel which runs throughout the store, a concrete room, a bespoke wooden library, with items selected by Conor Dolan, a record store, three huge product rooms with different themes and a soundproof music room. This is a new form of retail for the capital. It is, without doubt a destination.

The skeletal tunnel runs throughout this new retail haven.

The imaginative space consists of numerous and entirely different yet complimentary concepts rooms that lead the visitor through all our various moods and influences which make up the store. In these areas the biggest of the best international designers are offered, alongside a selection of the most exciting new fashion talents around the world. For AW10, mainline brands such as Damir Doma and Rick Owens sit alongside Japanese labels Wacko Maria, Sasquatch and Unused which in turn hang close to London based brands J.W Anderson and New Power Studio - both of whom have transferred their menswear collections into women's sizes exclusively for this store. Take my hand as I lead you through each designer space...

The Earth space. Raf Simons Archive sits alongside a selection of covetable designers...

A alternate viewpoint of the Raf Simons archive.

A closer look at the J.W Anderson offering from his ‘The Saint and the Assassin’ collection. .

Raf Simons for Eastpack backpacks hang in the foreground while Margiela trainers lurk in the background.

The Light space is home to Nigel Cabourn, Christopher Raeburn, Hobo, SAQUATCHfabrix, PAM and so much more.

I thought that these were Native boots but they are are actually a preview of a new addition to the SS11 ranks 

A new discovery for me...the SASQUATCHfabrix Eototo rail.

Stunning outerwear by Christopher Raeburn. Ethically intelligent and proudly remade in England

Mouth watering and wallet bashing items from Nigel Cabourn's much talked about AW10 collection. I had to pry my wanting hands from the the longed for Everest Parka and Harris Tweed Mallary jackets. 

The Everest Parka is one of Nigel Cabourn's most famous and sought after pieces and is an exact reproduction of the coat worn by Edward Hillary during his ascent of Everest. As part of his personal collection, Cabourn has reproduced the original Everest Parka without any compromise to the production, quality or functionality.

The Warmth space was my favourite room. Creations by Rick Owens and Damir Doma are enclosed by a room of concrete. There is something quite comforting in being surrounded by a combination of expensive creations and carefully crafted cement.

Damir Doma’s Corbel asymmetric coat from A/W 10 collection in grey and black sits behind a Rick Owens look.

The salt and pepper coloured wool coat with the black graphic pattern looked particularly enticing surrounded by concrete.

Similarly, Damir Doma men's virgin wool knit with a multi grey pattern, unfinished seams, long sleeves and a crew neckline looks perfectly at home in this room.

I loved how this pattern faded in with the walls.

Are you impressed? Are you eager to explore the space for yourself? Then why not make an appointment to visit the store. However, if your next visit to the capital is just a faraway dream, do not despair. The LN-CC concept is not just focused around this impressive store. It is more an overall feeling and lifestyle which will thankfully be spread over a number of different platforms. It will permeate their product, e-commerce, parties, exhibitions and installations and will no doubt be enjoyed by many.

15 comments:

Sol said...

great posting!!! Thanks you!

Unknown said...

These are great pics, and the cloths look good too. lol

Taj said...

The Native boots and the Damir Doma have me practically reeling!

Fashion Philosopher said...

Hmm, I don,t know. I am always a bit reluctant with shops like that. I have seen several of these interior designed retail/exhibition spaces in London during the last 13 years and usually they did not survive for very long. To be honest I think making a appoinment to go shopping is a bit too "elite-ist" for my taste. Also I find that the clothes should stand out and not the interior but maybe I just critical.I wish them all the best but I do not know if this concept is working during a recession....

Style Salvage Steve said...

saysayIs and Urban Da Vinci Clothing: Thanks, my pleasure!
Taj: Ah sorry those aren't actually Native boots, but rather a new Japanese brand that has come on board for SS11.
Fashion Philosopher: To be honest I can't remember any similar ventures in London...certainly not on this scale. The capital certainly needs something like this so I'm hoping it can succeed.

Anonymous said...

i cant see the mountain sneakers in your image on the ln-cc website.

can you give me more info?

they are so GOOD !!!

Style Salvage Steve said...

Anonymous: They are actually by a new brand that I've not come across before. They are an LN-CC exclusive and won't be available until next season unfortunately...the shoes on display were samples. I'll keep you guys posted though!

Søren Rømer said...

Looks pretty cool!

I really can't wait for a chance to go there myself! (but I'm still apalled by the prices of Raf Simons Archive!!)

Disneyrollergirl.net said...

Soren, the prices of the Raf stuff are prohibitive because John Skelton (the co-owner) doesn't *really* want to sell them. He wants them to go to someone who really wants them and I guess that's fair enough.

The shop is gorgeous and I love the multi-layered concept. (I can imagine a good party or two in there as well....) My understanding is that it's by appt only 'for the time being' - can't remember the reason but would not be surprised if it's partly to do with the location. Not the sort of place you want people just wandering in and out of if you get my drift...

Steve, good luck with the Mr Hare chat on Friday. Hoping to catch the first half...

Søren Rømer said...

@Rollergirl

Yeah, I found the explanation on the web site as well :)
But still, he takes it a bit far I reckon. At least, if he actually manages to sell a few pieces, I can guarantee you all my old Raf-stuff is going on sale for sure!

Style Salvage Steve said...

Søren Rømer: Apparently they have sold a few pieces. I think the Japanese market are particularly keen. It is madness to me that items could sell for that much.
Rollergirl: Thanks! Agree with you completely. The location must bring its problems but the space more than makes up for it because it is very special indeed. As for the Mr Hare talk, it would be great if you could make it down for the fist half.

Lloyd said...

Am excited by a high end clothes shop appearing in Dalston and am enjoying the gentrification process this is part of as I live nearby. Looking forward to seeing Raf Simmons knock offs on Ridley Road market!!

Syed said...

I keep looking over the Damir Doma and Silent stuff on their online store, will have to book in to visit in person so I can try some of it on! And I really want to look through their books.

Syed said...

And to pipe in on the Raf Archive stuff, the Japanese Archive for ladies is so much more nicely priced. In fact I am trying to egg on a friend of mine to buy the crochet Yohji dress!

Anonymous said...

perfect concept. hats off.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails