Wednesday 11 February 2009

Desire to recreate Take Ivy

Scanned images from Take Ivy courtesy of ACL.

During the late sixties, a Japanese photographer traveled across the northeastern United States stopping at each of the Ivy League schools to document the style of the era. The resulting book, titled Take Ivy, is inspiring. This beautiful photo book is practically impossible to get hold of (it was out of print until a few years ago when a small run was re-released, only to immediately sell out) but thankfully scans exist online. I first came across the book via Thenonplace who managed to scoop a first edition of the book and then he duly put his copy of the 2006 reprint on ebay (it sold for £410 demonstrating the demand for this limited edition book). A Continuous Lean has dedicated a number of posts to this preppy style bible and it is thanks to Michael Williams that I've been able to see inside this world.

Scanned images from Take Ivy courtesy of ACL.

Although these scans are of a time and a place I will never know and are of a sartorial style that is not my preferred aesthetic, there is no denying that they are truly wonderful. shots These images have instilled a desire to embark on my own exploration of a specific style, all I have to do is decide who to focus my lens on for my photographic style documentary. I sense a summer road trip, who wants to ride shotgun?

P.S. It is my birthday on Saturday...if anyone has a spare copy of Take Ivy and would like to send me something special please do...

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lovely images. I would love to own a copy of this book. Keep us updated on your own road trip.

Ca said...

Summer roadtrip and lots of photograpy, sounds nice!

Oooh, Saturday! In case I forget:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY (in advance)!

A year older, a year wiser. And certainly a lot more stylish, right?

Style Salvage Steve said...

James: It is a beautiful book...join the queue though, I was here first.
Ca: Top of my list at the moment is a summer road trip to Japan...closely followed by a cross country drive across USA...Thanks for the early birthday wishes and of course I will tick all of those boxes ;)

Anonymous said...

Great blog! Keep in touch!

xo xo

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday! in advance jeje.
I enjoy your blog very much.

Unknown said...

Greetings from Tokyo. Let us know when you are in the town so we could recommend some nice places - or even bring you to a drink if schedule permits.

Anonymous said...

Yo, happy birthday from all of us in the welsh countryside!! Btw was distraught that I was outbid for Take Ivy...

chuck n. said...

i have the rereleased, english take ivy and it's amazing! the book is so insightful and timeless!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails