Monday 27 April 2009

A fitting setting for your life story

Earlier this month I mentioned that your wardrobe really is much more than a piece of furniture. My chat with Patrick Grant over his E. Tautz label first made me see that a wardrobe is a story telling medium, with your life's style being playing the starring role. The contents should therefore deserve to be housed in something special. It is difficult to see your wardrobe as anything more than a cheap piece of furniture if like mine at home, it is tiny and poorly made. During my weekend trip to Antwerp I was fortunate enough to find, use and fall in love with my dream wardrobe. Ordinarily during a short city break I live out of my suitcase, hanging up the odd shirt which screams to be cared for a little more carefully and leaving the rest (somewhat erratically) folded up or tossed together in my bulging case. The B&B we stayed in this long weekend was wonderfully decorated and furnished (we spent the first hour or two taking all of the antiques and knick-knacks in) and our his&her double wardrobes were really something special. So special in fact that before exploring the city and nabbing the odd stock sale bargain we took great pleasure in hanging up and neatly folding each item. The Valet wardrobe was an impressive size complete with separate compartments which were beautifully labelled. My favourite features were the trouser rack (so much better than hanging four pairs of trousers on one hanger) and the compartments reserved for items less favoured today including collars and studs. Everything had its place and it all made sense. It really was a wardrobe fit to tell the life story of any man. Returning home, my packed wardrobe looked even more inadequate. For my next wardrobe I think I'll have to venture further a field than the Ikea on the outskirts of Wembley.

6 comments:

tanya said...

mmm wardrobe heaven...one can never have too many trouser racks in one's life...

Mouse said...

I spy Opening Ceremony for Uniqlo shirt. But how could you sully the hat shelf with jumpers Steve? It's a travesty.

Style Salvage Steve said...

Tanya: I agree, before Antwerp I knew very little of the wonders of the trouser rack.
Mouse: I know! If only I knew about the hat compartment, I should've bought one especially.

John said...

Drool... I dream of having my entire house compartmentalised and labelled like this. Though I don't think Mouse would like it. As soon as we have a house we can actully decorate, the Carpenter friend is getting a call...

Mouse said...

My perfect house would have a secret room (preferably behind a fireplace or bookshelf), which would be huge, and have a complex floor-to-ceiling filing system for all my crap...

Matthew Spade said...

labels and compartments, thats just brilliant isn't it. i do like the font used to but i think thats uber geeky of me to point that out.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails