Monday 20 April 2009

Resistance is futile to the wonders of Japan


We frequently mention how we peer through the glass and look on in amazement and wonder at the goings on in Japan and we certainly aren't alone in our voyeurism. I am yet to explore the country (but plan on doing so sometime this year) so to get my fix of Japanese pop culture I often spend an afternoon and a fair bit of money at the Japan Centre flicking through the magazines and stocking up on a number of snack offerings. Ramdane Touhani was fortunate enough to work in Japan and was inspired by working cloth, casual cloth, bosozuko dress codes and military uniforms. A few years later, his label Resistance was born. The label uses unconventional proportions, sizes and fabrics; crossed by political words and revolutionary symbols whilst interpreting menswear staples pieces.


The label has been added to the ever growing list of brands over on oki-ni and the highlight of the offering is this short coat with tartan button detailing. The navy double breasted jacket's construction is really simple and sharp; a military collar, back vent and soft shoulder but the tartan buttons really make me drool. The jacket has inspired me to take a trip to MacCulloch & Wallis and see if I can find something similar to breathe new life in to an old jacket or two. The half contrast shirt and the animal Print Spring Courts provide further illustrations on how this brand adds a few design features to wardrobe staples.

7 comments:

Mouse said...

John has an excellent book on bosozoku that I think you guys would like - maybe I can get him to do a blog post on it...

I wonder if you could DIY that half contrast shirt as well as the button jacket?

Style Salvage Steve said...

Mouse: Please do pester John on the bosozoko post. I will certainly give the half contrast shirt a try. I really do need to attempt more DIY, but I always need an adult supervising me though because I just get myself in a mess otherwise.

Mouse said...

I've been thinking more about that shirt. I think maybe if you dip dyed a shirt, maybe suspended it upside down in a bucket of dye mix for however long it recommends, and then pulled it out and (without washing the dye out) hung it up the right way round again for a while, you could get that spidery tendril colour effect. I'd definitely be tempted to try.

I think you'd have to stick with a really simple garment though, like that white shirt. Something Jil Sander-ish?

P.S. Will twitpic some stuff from the bosozoku book in the meantime!

~ Faith said...

I wish Japanese brands were available in Canada... *sigh*

~F

Miguel Paolo Celestial said...

Love the tartan buttons! There seems to be something wrong with the link to the contrast shirt. It somehow reminds me of the bold treatment of color by Jil Sander. Thrifted something similar but in plaid: http://lbosquejo.blogspot.com/2009/04/blue-boy.html.

Style Salvage Steve said...

Mouse: Thanks for the twitpics! They will form the basis of a future picture postcard I'm sure. Susie is something of a dip dye veteran so I'll give it a go next week.
Faith: I should organise a shopping tour to Japan sometime soon.
Miguel Paolo Celestial: I was unsure about the colour segementation of Jil Sander but the more I look at it the more I like it. Good work!

Ca said...

I really really like fabric covered buttons. Such lovely details to make the jacket a lot more interesting.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails