Wednesday 10 March 2010

Joe Casely-Hayford for John Lewis

Joe Casely-Hayford for John Lewis is now available at the Oxford Street store.

Back towards the end of January we shared an exclusive first look at Joe Casely-Hayford's collaboration with John Lewis. Ever since that post I've been eagerly awaiting the moment that the collection would be available at the Oxford Street flagship store. Last night I heard that my impatient wait was over and was treated to the news that stock was hitting the shop floor first thing in the morning. So, somewhat bleary eyed I made the trip in to town...

The collection has justifiably received a fair bit of press in recent weeks. I particularly like the above look from Esquire which features two of my favourite pieces, the mint cords and tailored Barbour jacket.

The thirty piece capsule collection, created exclusively for John Lewis, celebrates the best of British design while providing a complete wardrobe, encompassing everything from jackets to shoes. Throughout the collection, Joe Casely-Hayford is offering a new take on classic designs and achieves that rare thing in menswear: a cross generational appeal. It will undoubtedly bring new customers in to the store but at the same time, it should not alienate the store's loyal shoppers. I have to confess, this was my first visit to a John Lewis store with the sole aim of clothes shopping and I was impressed. I tend to pop in only for bedlinen and to use the facilities but this collaboration has reacquainted me with the menswear department. It was great to see the Casely-Hayford range sit alongside Fred Perry and John Smedley.

One of the most popular rails. Pastel cords and cotton sateen trousers sandwich a Liberty print shirt.

During my time at the store this afternoon I saw a variety of men and women admiring the designs and buying the odd thing. The playful Spring pastel cords and cotton sateen trousers seemed particularly popular and quite right too! My own personal highlights include the tailored wax Barbour jacket, colour block contrast John Smedley knitwear and the floral jersey Liberty print fabric shirts. However, shoe fiend that I am, the Pukk leather brogues made by Cheaney have captured my imagination and my feet are crying out for a pair. However, the shoes are not yet available so they'll have to wait. I'll have to be quick though because they are initially limited to a mere thirty pairs. Having spent an hour or so marveling at the designs I've got some decisions to make before I venture back to John Lewis armed with my battered debit card. In the meantime, I will feast over the below selection of images and scratch my imaginary beard...

The extremely well tailored Barbour jacket.

I've talked about my desire to experiment with florals for SS10, there are a number of interesting prints in this collection.

One of the colour block contrast knitwear pieces made by John Smedley.

A pair of raw selvage jeans

With thoughts of sunshine and a beach holiday filling my thoughts the release of this thirty piece capsule collection is timely. My suitcase could certainly do with the pastel cords and a couple of knits. With prices ranging between £60 and £399 there really is something for everyone. While it will undoubtedly appeal to a more fashion conscious man it still looks at home in the John Lewis store. Joe Casely-Hayford for John Lewis will certainly see fashion savvy shoppers reassess their perceptions of middle England's favourite department store. For those of you living outside of London the collection will soon be available in other branches and if you prefer to shop from the comfort of your sofa then the collection be available online from tomorrow.

4 comments:

Tom Jennings said...

Stumbled upon the stuff during my lunch-hour, having seen various previews in the media. Looks lovely, as you say. Will be interesting to see how JL's traditional audience responds. Whichever marketing person came up with the idea for this collaboration deserves credit. JL's menswear department has been terrible for years. Hopefully Joe C-H will provide a much-needed shot in the arm.

On a related note, do you know if all the pieces are limited edition, or just the shoes? I can see the Oxford Street selection selling-out pretty quickly, maybe even tonight at this rate...

Style Salvage Steve said...

The Gear Monkey: Yes the pieces are limited but not to the same extent as the shoes. My advice is if you see something you like snap it up quickly (especially if you are a smaller size).
I am intrigued to see how well this sells, it should attract new customers (like myself) to JL while still offering garments that the current clientele will appreciate. I saw quite a few men and women (of all ages) looking at the rails and a few were buying. This collaboration will only grow over the next few seasons and I'm already looking forward to the AW10 offering.

Matthew Spade said...

well i'll be online browsing tomorrow then won't i! the floral shirt and cords just look great

M said...

this jeans is look good

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails