Sunday 21 March 2010

Kim Jones' Pop Up Store

Kim Jones' pop up store at Lane Crawford. All images from Lane Crawford.

Greetings from Hong Kong! Over the last few days I have struggled with late nights and jet lag so I apologise for being a little quiet on the blogging and twitter front. However, I managed to haul my hungover and tired arse out of bed this afternoon to partake in this city's favourite hobby: shopping! Upon the recommendation of a newly discovered friend we headed to the Lane Crawford at IFC to wander around Kim Jones' pop up shop. The well known Hong Kong department store invited designer of the moment and Style Salvage favourite, Kim Jones to curate an exclusive pop up shop concept, offering a fresh perspective on classic menswear and modern tailoring. Kim Jones, who believes a modern man’s wardrobe is now the perfect balance of traditional classics and sportswear presents four distinct categories which define today’s menswear and celebrate its diversity; the Savile Row tailor, Japan and beyond, the Futurists and the wardrobe staples.

Japan and Beyond

For the finest modern tailoring, from Kim Jones' very own Dunhill (oh I am still in love with the futuristic SS10 luggage) to Paul Smith and the bespoke masters of Savile Row itself. The section represents the very best of British menswear. Alongside the quintessentially English names sit the eccentric and minimalist soft tailoring looks that come out of Japan. From Lad Musician to Kolor, Nemeth and Comme des Garçon these brands break new boundaries of masculinity and style each season and leave us salivating in the process.

The Futurists

One of my own personal favourite sections within this pop up concept was the Futurists. The area showcases the pioneering likes of Balenciaga, Raf Simons and YSL. Ghesquière, Simons and Pilati all use technological fabrics, ever innovative construction techniques to lead a new movement of menswear and while increasing my heart beat with each season.

Wardrobe Staples

The wardrobe staples section displays the everyday fashion 'must haves' for both day and night. These wardrobe essentials are delivered in the solid staple collections of Acne, Opening Ceremony, Visvim and Wood Wood. Kim Jones' wardrobe staples make my own wardrobe staples feel a great deal inferior and invoke a strong desire to swap. In addition to showcasing the designs he admires and would wear himself the space itself takes inspiration from Jones' favourite men's club in London, the Royal Geographical Society. The walls and flooring are decorated in archive images and prints to inject a bit of fun in to the whole area. The space revels in and celebrates the diversity of menswear and I only wish that I could make this space my new walk in wardrobe... I wonder if Lane Crawford will let me move in?

3 comments:

ivan0522 said...

I live in Hong Kong & I love Lane Crawford shop. How long will you be in Hong Kong? If you want I can take you to some other small trendy shops that feature some young Hong Kong talents. Enjoy your stay. Happy shopping!

stylestalker said...

looks like such a cool store

Style Salvage Steve said...

proJect: Sorry, I've only just seen this and I'm back in London, it was only a flying visit really! I enjoyed my stay though and can;t wait to go back out in the Autumn for a longer stay.
StyleStalker: It really is!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails