Wednesday 24 March 2010

Posting Postalco

Postalco: A stationery and leather goods company inspired by mail. Notice that their logo is a carrier pigeon.

Following on seamlessly from the below enthusing on my favourite Hong Kong finds, Kapok I'd like to share one of the 'little treats' that I bought myself from that gem of a store. A legal document folder by Postalco. Until this weekend I was not familiar with the brand, although I do vaguely recall being excited by their collaboration with Opening Ceremony last year, but now II fear I will evolve in to an obsessive consumer. Postalco is a stationery and leather goods company based in Tokyo and owned by Mike and Yuri Abelson. What began with an interest in the international transport of mail progressed to paper, its immediacy, warmth and universal nature, which in turn led to some experimentation and research in to methods of carrying paper. They moved to Tokyo in 2001 from Brooklyn where Yuri worked as a graphic designer and Mike as a product designer. As Postalco, the Abelsons combine their individual strengths to produce finely crafted products that have garnered them praise and devoted fans not just in Japan but around the world...and now me!
The range of Postalco products...I covet it all.

I have to confess that I am more than a tad romantic towards brands such as Postalco in the face of the seemingly dying art of craft. The elegance of Postalco is all in the details. The neat thread works, subtle curves and meticulous craftsmanship. Despite being born in the US, Postalco strikes me as the perfect Japanese company and it comes as little surprise that it is hugely successful there. Simple forms that belie obsessive attention to details and quality, masking intricate design considerations and construction challenges. Mike and Yuri along with the help of their local Japanese craftsmen make products that don’t shout for your attention, but rather sit naturally in your bag, on your table and in your hand...or in this case, my hand...

A close up of my latest acquisition. Here I am wearing my E. Tautz Breton and white shirt from Bespoken.

The moment I picked up the above document holder I just had to have it. Thankfully, Kapok's knowledgeable proprietor was on hand to talk me through the accessory and the deal was soon sealed. The design couple wanted a way to carry papers and documents that would function and age well. A little experimentation resulted in a series of document carrying envelopes made from pressed cotton and calf leather complete with an adjustable button closure. As the design evolved from their interest in the human behavior of carrying items in our daily lives, I thought I'd share what I've been carrying in my freshly acquired accessory...

A look inside my legal envelope...borrowed LG Notebook, limited edition Kapok x Moleskin, pen, keys and Gucci card holder.

If you are interested in hearing more about this wonderful brand then I point you in the direction of Tramnesia who interviewed the couple as part of their Working feature last year. Postalco demonstrate that by concentrating and perfecting the skills you possess can very well lead to broader horizons, new lessons, and richer experiences - the kind of life I certainly want and I'm sure I'm not alone...

7 comments:

John said...

fantastic writeup!! i've been searching for a chic holdall. if only they had an e-store >.<

Style Salvage Steve said...

John: Thanks! Where are you based? Although I stumbled across Postalco in Kapok, they are quite well stocked worldwide. You can find the stockists list here: http://postalco.net/retailer.htm

Matthew Spade said...

here we go again, swanning off on your hols and coming back and making is all jealous. such a great time and it's excellent to hear people are taking the time out to chat about things and introduce you abit further to what they have on offer.

the shop just looks a dream. i'm getting a saint james top when i've done my selling on ebay

Style Salvage Steve said...

Mat: Ha, sorry! I just can't help myself...if it is any consolation I've not got any more trips away planned for a few months. Yes, Arnault is such a nice chap and he knows so much about the brands he stocks - he is just how a store owner should be! Now, a Saint James top is a fine investment! Looking forward to seeing it on your blog.

Matthew Spade said...

when i get it i will post, trying to filter in more outfit posts, just not very photogenic!

Unknown said...

hello ! we stock postalco since we opened kapok in 2006 and the next collection is going to be fantastic. you can shop for postalco at our webstore : www.ka-pok.com cheers !

john said...

steve: thanks for the response. i lurked their stockist list and found a lot of great things doing so :). i'm in hawaii so it's a bit hard to find things locally.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails