Thursday 11 December 2008

Advent - Day Eleven

Along with socks, ties are a regular fixture wrapped up under the tree, they are perceived to be the safe option or at least they used to be...


Who not ruffle some feathers (I am hilarious) with one from Lanvin's AW accessories range? Yes they're over the top (everything at Christmas is), yes they're somewhat ridiculous, and, yes, they are completely impractical (just how would you tie it without destroying those fine feathers?). I'm not sure what my Uncle would say after unwrapping one of these but I would love to find out. Ever since I fell in love with a black feathered belt by Blaak (seen at the Old Curiosity Shop), I just want to experiment by incorporating feathered accessories to add texture and a little extravagance to an outfit.

7 comments:

Izzy said...

Maybe they're pre-tied? I've seen Lanvin bow ties in the same feathers and those were spectacular, and much more practical. But for something so festooned with feathers, I still think these are decidedly masculine and don't stray into the cross-dressing category. Any idea how much these retail for?

j said...

I was given a wooden tie once as a birthday present. It is made of thin pieces of wood, nicely finished and attached to a cloth backing so it has flex. It's actually pretty, but it is so odd that when I wear it it isn't taken seriously.

dlittlegarden said...

Ooh, I love the one on the left! I wonder if one could be crafted with feathered fabric for the part that hangs down, pieced with regular silk or wool for the part that wraps/knots.... I know where to find pre-feathered fabric in the Fashion District, and here's a great tutorial I'd seen before on how to sew your own tie: http://www.samhober.com/necktie/howtomakeanecktie.htm

EJ said...

These are so beautiful that I want to own them to keep in a box by my bed and just look at from time to tie. Have you bought my Christmas present yet? :P

Giancinephile said...

They look good but I'm adamant that I'll be able to maintain them in good condition.

I think if I had a chance to buy them, I think I'll just store them in my closet and admire them (somewhat similar to EJ's thought)...

Ca said...

Haha, festive ties. After my DIY feathered vest I been thinking of something more. A belt sounds good!

Sunshine said...

i was just convincing a friend that these ties are a simple and cheap diy project - a clip-on from the charity shops (these are certainly clip-ons) + bag of fun feathers + tube of fabric glue + a few hours and a bit of patience = less than a tenner.

if i were a dude i would rock that blue one constantly - a black suit and muppet fur tie is the most chic.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails