Monday 15 December 2008

Visions of President Obama


Even though US President-elect Barack Obama will be donning a Hart Schaffner Marx single-button, notch-lapel tuxedo for the evening festivities on Inauguration Day, WWD have asked a number of leading menswear designers to create a day and evening look for this historic day and the pick of their designs can be seen here...

Obama has a lean, toned 6 ft 2 inches tall physique and Rag & Bones's vision for Obama is one which extenuates his sleek silhouette with a well cut suit for day and full on tuxedo with tails to wow his admirers in the evening.


My own personal favourite day/evening look for the US President Elect comes from GQ's Designer of the Year Thom Browne. From these wonderful sketches I envision Obama as being as dancing Fred Astaire like all the way through his swearing in ceremony.

After appearing on the covers of GQ, Esquire, Men's Vogue and Men's Health there can be little doubt that Obama will become a style icon for many. Despite his guaranteed style icon status it is extremely unlikely that I'll ever see a President wearing a sequined jacket as per Richard James' vision for Obama...I can't decide whether this is a good or bad thing...

What would you wear as President of this struggling Superpower?

5 comments:

TheSundayBest said...

Whoever did Thom Browne's watercolour? ink? illustration is a genius. I want it.

Style Salvage Steve said...

I wish that I possessed such a delicate touch with a brush...It is truly beautiful!

Ian Brown said...

Obama may be cool but as his wife said his stylishness is exaggerated. He wears high-waisted dad jeans with his shirt tucked in after all. We may never have another president as stylish as JFK. Le sigh.

j said...

It's true, Obama hasn't impressed me with his sartorial style so far (only his political style). Sometimes I think his suits look too big. But I don't think I would like to see him in sequins...too razzle-dazzle. Actually I thought Blair wore a suit nicely.

Style Salvage Steve said...

Ian Brown & J - It is true that Obama's suits tend to be on the large side and a more European cut would certainly suit him better! My thing with Obama is not that he is a style icon right now but that he has the potential to be...Mr Blair was always well turned out. He was a fan of bespoke and used to get his shirts from a chap in Hong Kong.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails