Friday 6 August 2010

Forgotten Fit


Last month I encountered the designs of Forgotten Future twice in as many hours. Initially by the unveiling of the label over on oki-ni, quickly followed by an encounter with the creative mind behind the label, Richard Dawson at Stitch. This two fold introduction allowed me to fully acquaint myself with the label and by lunchtime I was a fan, a post soon followed. A few weeks later and a package arrived in my mail box containing a pair of high waisted corduroy trousers in burgundy. Dawson was so pleased with my post and the fact that I instantly understood the label that he sent me one of the highlights from his AW10 collection as a huge thank you. I have to confess that gifts always make me feel a little uneasy because they are wholly unnecessary. I only write about the brands that I truly love, there is no agenda. That said, on the odd occasions that I do receive a gift from one of those love brands, the item will be cherished and these cords are no exception...

A closer look at the front detailing.

Forgotten Future's sophomore collection was influenced by an eclectic mix of inspirations, from Eton schoolboys to No Wave to Constructivism. These seemingly disparate influences combine wonderfully to create a collection that expresses the kind of sartorial nonchalance which I aspire to demonstrate in my own attire during the cooler months. Along with a high degree of workmanship, silhouette and proportional experimentation are both key to Forgotten Future's aesthetic. These burgundy cords wonderfully encapsulate all that is exciting about the label. Now, these are the first pair of high waisted trousers I have worn for as long as I can remember. Despite admiring pairs from the likes of bstore and Tim Soar in recent seasons I have chose to sit this style out. I doubted whether or not my medium frame could really pull them off with any level of success. I could hide no longer with this beautiful pair hanging in my wardrobe. Below are the results of my first, of undoubtedly many high waisted experiment...

The Forgotten Future cord trousers worn with +J Collection chambray shirt from Uniqlo and Kudu boots by Lodger.

A close up...I love the pleated front detailing and the dominant use of zips.

A close up of the Kudu boots on one of their first outings for a few months.

Thanks to Forgotten Future I am no longer afraid of high waisted trousers. I am most pleased with this first experiment and am looking forward to experimenting with them over the coming months as we welcome in the new season. Roll on autumn...

9 comments:

Matthew Spade said...

they are craaaazy cool, and as i'm sure many people will think, hard to pull off. high waisted trousers are always something i have loved but never really tried, it's the commitment to the whole look that you need and you have it. what else will you wear them with?

Scott said...

I'm reminded of failed denim pattern for 'Crisp' in How to Make it in America. :) What didn't work for Ben and Cam seems to definitely be working for you and Forgotten Future. Though I'm not sure I'm brave enough to go for it myself.

Pal Zileri Satoriale said...

Nah! Not really my style. Pass!

+ ) + + 0 said...

Wow, nice.. I can totally see this matched up with an arab-inspired knee-length shirt+shawl or as part of a 19th century NY newspaper boy ensemble. Perhaps a piece from Umit Benan's spring 2011 collection? Whatever fits the bill, there's one sure thing anyone would be wise to bring into such a getup: confidence.

Anonymous said...

Love these trousers! i want a pair.

TheSundayBest said...

Those pants man...you are more man than I.

fashion jewellery said...

Wow these are hard to pull off but you certainly do! I love high waisted pants!

Syed said...

Love the colour of those and the zips are insanely cool. I have to admit that I have been secretly wanting some tartan bondage trousers for a while just for the zips.

Anonymous said...

These are some amazing trousers. Wow, I love them, how lovely that you were sent them as a treat!

Hollie

lipstick & balloons

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails