Thursday 7 February 2008

Mighty Oaks from little acorns grow


I had a day of sightseeing today but was fortunate enough to visit the new Oak store which has only just opened its doors. I can't (or maybe more truthfully the gf can't) go a day without a little window shopping and sandwiched between visits to Ground Zero (where we took advantage of Century 21 - I bought a bargain of a Martin Margiela white t shirt), the Statue of Liberty and China Town was the trip to NoLita. Only five years after opening their flagship Williamsburg boutique (which I visited early on in the trip) Oak co-owners Louis Terline and Jeff Madalena have made the famed East River crossing with great success. The store looks great and is home to some great pieces. The store introduced to new brands to me, Handmade in USA and A-Z (I've looked for links but as yet have been unable to find any) I went away empty handied but this was achieved only through a demonstration of terrific restraint from me. If you are ever in New York you have to visit both of the Oak stores (as they seem to have slightly different stock offerings)


Oak, 28 Bond Street, (between Bowery and Lafayette streets); no phone yet. For more information, go to oaknyc.com.

4 comments:

yui said...

just a guess but i'm thinking A-Z might be Andrea Zittel? She makes these small living units that i'm a huge fan of, and if i remember correctly she also designs clothes ...
http://www.zittel.org/

Style Salvage Steve said...

CC - I think your guess is right. Thanks for the tip. I've just looked at her site and it's pretty awesome. The living units are really good.

Anonymous said...

I still haven't made it to Century 21. Twice in NY and not once in C21...sigh.

/DCB.

Style Salvage Steve said...

Don't worry DCB, your time will come. To be honest it's not that great but with perseverance you can find some special bargains. I'm a little sad that I didn't get the chance to visit Atelier (I ran out of money). New York is home to just too many shops!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails