Tuesday 3 June 2008

Fresh love for forgotten magazines

Image courtesy of La Coquette as I forgot to take a shot of my own pile - plus it wasn't as neat as this.

I found myself with nothing to do last Sunday night (without the internet) and rather than twiddle my thumbs I decided to go through the mountain of magazines that sit in a pile on one corner of my room and cast a shadow over the rest. I wanted to begin a scrapbook and clear some space in my room at the same time (oh my Nan would be proud of me).

The pile consisted of copies of Fantastic Man, Monocle, GQ, Esquire, Nylon Guys, Dazed&Confused, Vogue Hommes International, 10 Man and a few copies of music magazines for good measure including Artrocker and Dummy. I decided that there were some magazines that should be left intact, including 08 Monocle's (I thought I'd start a proper collection). Using my trusty Craft Knife (I am totally inept at tearing out pages neatly with my just my bare hands) I analysed page after page of adverts, editorials and articles and carefully selected the pages to spare - putting them in two neat piles - reference articles and pretty pictures.

I have to admit, I absolutely loved thumbing these pages again. When I get a new magazine I turn the pages far too quickly, accelerating even as I go (pretending that I'm Rainman but alas I lack the brain capacity). I'm a product of the modern age, used to dealing with a wealth of information but not really appreciating it. Therefore it was nice to take some time and look through a magazine with a different mindset. Now, I was looking for inspiration and pretty artwork and I found a fair bit. I will visit Paperchase during the week and start my Scrapbook which I will share with you. In the meantime I suggest you pick up those old magazines (if you keep them like I do) and look through them once again with a different eye and be inspired.


I should warn you in advance that you might be seeing a few old articles from your favourites magazines reborn over the pages of the blog.

Like many of his better ideas, Steve has ripped this one shamelessly off of me. Aside from helping to fill my spare time and get some good use out of my Pritt Stick I've all this cutting and sticking rather useful for working out what I do and don't like about magazines, editorials and clothes. A real life Polyvore! Behold my rather lacklustre first attempt (and apols for the poor quality of the photo)... Still, the only way is up, eh?

7 comments:

Thomas said...

I stacked up all the magazines I still haven't read even, and it was amazingly high. I think I have a problem.

But like you I started to cut things out and perhaps we will have some sort of scrapbooking party.

How cool are we?

Style Salvage Steve said...

Thomas - Everyoneone knows that the answer is too cool. I like the idea of a tranatlantic Scrapbook party. We will have to invite EJ though because she gave me the idea of a scrapbook inspired by old magazines.

Thomas said...

P.S. Have you seen your frequent mentions on getkempt.com? Tight.

Style Salvage Steve said...

We certainly have. I'm not sure how we ended up on their blogroll but we most certainly welcome the attention and traffic. Getkempt is a must daily read for me so we are chuffed.

aizat.cinta.goddess said...

guess what???im also a perosn who collect fashion magazines..there ar tones of it in my room...

The Velvet Scientist said...

I love putting my stacks of mags o good use, I made a bit of a collage with the same pictures of Jason Schwartzman from the Nylon Guys Fall 2007 issue.
I always feel a little guilty though, cutting up all the pretty pages...

Style Salvage Steve said...

There is definitely something about Jason Schwartzman's face that makes people want to cherish it forever.
I also have pangs of guilt as i cut into the pages but you have to keep telling yourself that it has to be done. You can't keep the magazines forever - unless it is an amazing issue.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails