Monday 30 June 2008

Sale Shopping - Finally taking advantage

I must confess that I've never really enjoyed shopping at sale times and I used to look on in envy as people unearthed some great bargains. When the masses periodically descend on my favourite stores and mess up the racks and neat piles of clothes it makes me stay away. Of course the clothes are cheaper but the sales experience devalued the clothes in more ways than just the price slash. I've got over that now and I can even enjoy shopping in central London during sale time at the weekend! When I used to get a rash just thinking about Selfridges on the first Saturday of sales I thought that I would never be able to take advantage of the massive reductions on offer. Thankfully, I can and indeed have. I started early and took it easy. Avoiding the crowds I took advantage of the impressive online sale at A.P.C and picked up a bargain of a slate blue fitted jacket.



After getting the taste of sale shopping I had enough confidence to hit the High Street and was fortunate enough to find two steals. Firstly, off I went to Harvey Nichols for the first time in...well I don't know when...and with the sole purchase of buying molecule 01... but as the gf went to look at shoes and with my newly found confidence I decided to visit the menswear floor and I'm glad I did. It surpassed all expectations.


I loved this shirt when I saw it in an editorial and couldn't resist it at half price! Here I teamed it with the Commes Des Garcons jacket which was a steal from the DSM Market!


Finally I braved Selfridges which was was somewhat dissapointing and of course ridiculously busy but I still managed to find an Alistair Mckimm for Fred Perry polo at half price.

Please excuse the funny face!


Have you been successful at the sales? Let us know how you get on.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

unfortunately, I haven't had my luck with the sales here in my city.

the reductions aren't so exciting as they're usually just 30% off or so even until now.

I wish retailers here easily drop their prices because as fashion moves so fast and so must the merchandise. haha

nice finds you got there, steve!

Elizabeth said...

Very cool stuff. You always look great.

Anonymous said...

my friend and i headed for the sales this weekend. we started out very early, when most folks weren't even up yet. plus i think shopping sometimes in pairs during all this madness helps for that second opinion. i'd say were were pretty successful. you scored some wonderful pieces!!

Unknown said...

Did you hit Liberty? I got a grey cashmere APC jumper for 50 quid and a red nylon James Dean-esque PF Flyers hooded cagoule for another 50. Almost went a bit mad for the reducced Dries coats and Liberty-print shirts, and left some more APC shirts by the till. Dangerous place. Good work on your finds too! xS

Matthew Spade said...

i managed to pick up some last season black diesel boots, mid-length with zip up the insides, for a bargain of £29.99

love that shirt

Anonymous said...

Gah, you are far superior regarding bargain-hunting! I must compile a post soon to display my...lesser...purchases!

/DCB.

EJ said...

haha, Steve, that last picture shows my favourite Steve-face. I demand that you pull it in all photos from now until my bday!

Slightly weirded out to see that you're drawn to blues at the moment too...

Anonymous said...

Steve, I'm very jealous. Tried on that same Lanvin shirt in Selfridges but too big... gah!

So far, this is my haul: Jil Sander patent sandals from oki-ni and a pair of (very) cheap monday jeans.

That's it. All other money has been spent on full-price AA t-shirts and cord shorts. Will be showing all on the 156 blog soon...

j said...

I just returned from a visit to Paris. No sales there for my American dollar! Nice jacket.

Style Salvage Steve said...

Thanks everyone! I am quite proud of myself this time. It is easy to get swayed by the reduced prices tag and buy for the sake of buying but by a combination of good fortune and a degree of slef restraint I supplemented my wardrobe with some good sale shopping and it sounds like most of you did well as well. We are all so damn good.
XS - I demand that you put a shot of your James Dean-esque cagoule!
Elliot Sainsbury - The Lanvin shirt is more of a relaxed fit than I normally go for but it is beautiful.
J - Sorry to hear about the Parisian sales - I've always wanted to check out sale time over there, just to compare.

TheSundayBest said...

Damned Canada Day ruined my string of being the first commenter...or the second...or at least the third.

I bought two used shirts - does that count? Sorry - vintage, not used, for the veracity challenged.

And of course these will all be going on wardrobe remix...won't they, Steve?

Style Salvage Steve said...

Unlucky Thomas! We let you off. Of course it counts....but only if they were in the sale! I don;'t want to get involved in the viontage debate..I've read many a keen (crazy) commentator over at stylebubble discussing what can be classed as vintage.
PS - These will go up on w_r, I've promised EJ I would. I need to get back into the routine of it all.

Berkley Magazine said...

Jefferson Hack, is that you? =P

Style Salvage Steve said...

No I'm only his stunt double...Jefferson is a delicate flower. Aside from that, in my guise as Hack I also do supermarket openings and DJ at weddings.

Trevor Howard said...

I wonder how you got on with your Molecule 01 fragrance?

Style Salvage Steve said...

h of candid cool - I'm normally the same but fortunately for me I had a litle more in my pocket this time around and took advantage of it.
trevor howard - I'm currently sharing the fragrance with my girlfriend and I love it. I would not wear it every day but it is lovely.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails