Thursday 5 March 2009

Magazines in the spotlight: 10 Men

Following on from our post on Tuesday regarding these troubling times facing magazines we would like to continue to celebrate our favourite publications. I'd like to turn your attention to 10 Men.

10 Men Spring 09 Issue

From the power of the Internet I have known for some that the the Spring issue of 10 Men has been on sale but try as I might I just couldn't find it anywhere....I was missing out and I knew it. I will tell you a little tale which shows my love (bordering on desperation) of magazines. Ordinarily, after having my ear to the ground I stumble across a bounty of copies at Borders in Charing Cross so of course i went there first this time...but there was nothing. I went back a further three times and even extended my search taking other branches, throwing in a visit to my favourite newsagent on Old Compton Street and the stand opposite Liberty's. In short, whenever I walked past a newsagent, my hands became a little clammy,my heart beat a little faster and in I strode full of excitement, only to leave downbeat and wanting. How sad am I? Thankfully, my quest ended in an unlikely place, a tiny newsagent close to my flat. I now have 10 Men in my hands and am loving this issue.

The 'Ten people you should meet' feature is frequently my favourite facet of each issue and it doesn't disappoint here, in fact it is the best yet because these are the people I love. Within the feature we are reacquainted with Paul Smith, Gordon Richardson, Kim Jones, Patrick Grant, Margaret Howell. Carlo Brandelli, James Long and Richard James whilst being informally introduced to Graeme Fiddler (Head of Men's Design, Aquascutum), James Shaw and Alastair Rae (The Proprietors, Albam). These men should be known and I quite simply love this feature.

Oh Paul, how I'd love to sit and chat with you...

Lanvin is dealing with the pressure of being one of the best, if not the best, menswear collections shown in Paris and beyond quite beautifully. The Lanvin vision for the upcoming season is now my vision for the months ahead. Over fourteen pages 10 Men catches up with Lucas Ossendrivjer whilst creating a spread of looks photographed on my favourite piece of green space in London, Hampstead Heath.

Lanvin on the Heath...if only I looked this this good when I go off walking!

One of the main editorials asks that often recited Shakespeare question what's in a name and thankfully gives us a few answers rather than digress with talk of flowers. Here they opened fashion with first names by giving the various meanings of the fashion photographer's name.

Jacob's editorial

The hunt for images to accompany this post led me to the revamped site for 10 Magazine, complete with a look inside both magazines and a frequently updated blog. If you've not had a look recently you have to check it out because it is a huge improvement on what was available before.

The trouble is now that I have 10 Men in my possession, the unrelenting itch for Fantastic Man Issue N 9 takes over and will no doubt become unbearable...thankfully there isn't too long to wait...yet the world still waits.

10 comments:

Matthew Spade said...

yeah i totally love 10 men, got a few copies but its hard to get the good magazines where i live. i have to travel about 10 miles to the nearest boarders. worth it though. and im guessing this means its going to be hard to find this issue. il get searching.

Unknown said...

steve, have you tried RD Franks? or Selfridges is pretty good. And yeah, 10+Men is my favourite; it's relevant but never takes itself too seriously...

Kay said...

It sounds really good, ahh I love Paul Smith

Anonymous said...

also try magma which is opposite fopp near cambridge circus as they always have 10 men there

Giancinephile said...

10 Men for me has one of the best articles. It's one mag I would read from cover to cover (just like Monocle). haha

we could grow up 2gether said...

have been a fan for 10+men since day one, the effortless taste in the photos is glorious, and the bitchiness in the words, even more glorious!

Anonymous said...

If you're looking for fashion magazines in the West End again, take a stroll up to Charlotte Street News (It's at no. 66). For such a tiny shop, it is packed to the rafters with UK and foreign language fashion magazines - much better per sq. foot than Borders!
PS: I love 10 Men - this issue is the first I have ever got!

Anonymous said...

as xS says f.d. franks is the place to go, it's 5 winsley st, just off oxford st and they're getting the new issue of fantastic man in a week before anywhere else in the uk apparently...

Style Salvage Steve said...

Oooh thanks for the recommendations guys. I will soon be camping outside f.d franks then waiting for the first batch of Fantastic Man's to arrive.

Anonymous said...

Thank you so so much for the lovely post and comments. We really really appreciate it.

10 Magazine

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails