Tuesday 23 June 2009

Style Salvage Speaks to... Fine And Dandy

Both of us at Style Salvage are drawn to dandies and so it was inevitable that we would speak to the owner of Fine and dandy, Matt Fox. This online store caters to the guy who enjoys dressing up, who doesn’t believe in Casual Friday, nor thinks of getting dressed each day as a chore. Like us, he has an appreciation for the well dressed gentlemen of yesteryear and is inspired by their unabashed use of accessories so this is what he stocks in his store. Last Sunday saw the belated launch party and as we couldn't make the trip over to New York for the special occasion we caught up with the dandy himself for a miniview (mini interview... get it?) and to get his inside picks on the current stock.

A selection of dandies at the launch party.

Style Salvage:What first inspired you to embark on the life of a dandy, to blog about it and then to open a store oufitting them?

Matt Fox: I guess you could say I've always been somewhat of a dandy. For as long as I can remember I liked getting dressed up. I was the weird kid in high school who wore a tie every day. I've lived in NYC for 13 years and for almost as long as I've been here I've wanted to open a shop called Fine And Dandy with a similar concept. But NYC is an expensive city and opening up a store front shop just hasn't been a reality. Last April I had the idea to give it a try on line. The internet is amazing in that we're able to reach people all over the world with similar interests. The blog has given us an opportunity to communicate with those people.

SS: Who is the greatest dandy of all?
MF: The greatest dandy to me was my grandfather. He didn't even know he was a dandy! My grandfather was a farmer in the middle of no where but he loved dressing well and looking good. I think I got that trait from him.

SS: What was the most recent dandified thing you have bought?
MF: I love shopping at flea markets. I've found some really unique ties and bow ties there. But for my most dandified item, recently I was at a flea market and found a jewelry box full of vintage tie bars and cuff links. Amazing!

SS: What item of clothing do you wish that more men wore?
MF: Well, I'm a big advocate of the bow tie. Not just for formal events. And every gentleman must learn to tie a bow tie!

SS: If you could dress anyone, living or dead, who would it be and what would you put them in?
MF: Picasso is the first to come to mind. I would dress him in his work pants, naturally splattered in paint, a crisp white short-sleeve button-down-front shirt, cotton madras bow tie, desert boots with no socks, and pants rolled up.

Following our miniview, we asked Matt to pick out his five favourite pieces from the current stock and this is what he chose...


--------------
As you should all know, over the last few months we've been collecting together the recommendations of our interviewees of places to go to shop, eat, drink and generally enjoy yourself. We couldn't let Matt go without acquiring his favourite New York haunts which have now been added to the map...

Matt's recommendations:


Late night snack at Kashkaval


Hair cut from Valentino at Astor Place Barber Shop

Vintage shopping at the Hell's Kitchen Flea Market.

2 comments:

Michael said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Michael said...

Picasso is an style icon I've been drawn to a lot recently, although I think his style was pretty much spot on in creating that definitive persona. I'm surprised he is not referenced more.

Love the pocket squares though. I'm liking printed silk a lot at the moment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails