Wednesday 21 January 2009

The Editor informs...The Burberry Belly Warmer Explained

We have a number of interviews at various stages of completion but over the coming week or two you should be entertained as we launch our 'Style Salvage Speaks To...' feature. We have spoken to a number of people involved in men's style, including designers, editors and stylists and are enjoying getting different perspectives on our favourite subject. One of the first interviews posted will be our discussion with BUCK where we spoke with Editor and Founder, Steve Doyle and Fashion Editor Elliott James Sainsbury, the night before they went off to Milan. During the course of our long chat Steve mentioned that he was going to launch his own blog and he certainly meant it because Doyle Says is already live!

In his very first post he has taught me something. Although it was an unexciting and uneventful Burberry AW09 show, my heart skipped a bit for the folksy knit cummerbunds, whilst Steve agrees that this was one of the standout pieces he sheds some light onto this accessory which I thank him for:

"In Japan, this is known as a haramaki. A very traditional garment, originating out of armour that the Samurai once wore, it is said that, by keeping your belly warm, it is good for your health."


One of the most iconic haramaki wearers is apparently Tora San. A film critic once said that in Japan, his face was more recognizable than the emperor’s; fans call him “the bum from Shibamata.” He is the sake-loving, itinerant salesman who starred in the longest-running film series in history.

In recent years there has been resurgence of popularity in the haramaki in Japan (as supported by this article in Pingmag) but of course they do not have much in common with their historical predecessors that were made for armour...although an armour one would be interesting!

I lapplaud designers when they look further afield and to the past for inspiration. As I said on the Fashion156 blog, Bailey's designed belly accessory could not be further from what I imagine a cummerbund to be. I have always found this traditional piece to be rigid , uncomfortable and somewhat dull but these folksy yet chic creations were beautiful in their versatility. Have you come across a haramaki before the Burberry show?

6 comments:

Ian Brown said...

Nope but now I'm glad to know I don't have to spend three hundred dollars buying one from Burberry!

Ian Brown said...

Or make my own ==> http://www.planetjune.com/blog/haramaki-tummy-warmer-tutorial/

TheSundayBest said...

I just had my tailor cut the bottom off a particularly weird double breasted sweater. I was going to make it into a scarf, but now you've given me another idea....

Style Salvage Steve said...

Ian Brown: Thanks for the link to the tutorial!
TheSundayBest: Definitely try this out...I've not got any old jumpers that I'd like to use...

hogan said...

cool! i would have thought it was just a cummerband, which i love anyways, but this is even better :)

Anonymous said...

I bought one a few months ago while in Japan. I have yet to wear it but I am excited now.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails