Friday 9 January 2009

Will 2009 see the return of flower power?

Flower Print - Two looks from the Obedient Son SS 09 runway, Silk Libery Pockerchiefs and shirt by Shipley & Halmos.

The chaps over at men.style have looked into their crystal balls and seen a few key items which make up their spring fashion forecast for 2009. The twelve item list is a relatively small one, but the trends it mentions are well worth considering...I am sure that there are a few that you'll adapt to your own wardrobe in the coming months if you've not done so already.

The most interesting of the bunch was without a doubt libery prints. For this they say "Thanks to the green thumbs of labels like Shipley & Halmos, Obedient Sons, and Liberty of London (which lent its trademark blooms to Steven Alan for shirts, ties, and boxers), look for flowers to have more power than ever in '09."

Mix of floral print as captured by the Sartorialist back in May.

Upon reading this my mind began racing, trying to think of successful examples of where flower prints have been used to make an outfit (aside from the ones mentioned in the feature). I have to admit that I couldn't think of too many recent examples...the aw 08 lookbook of Jaiden rVa James featured were by far the best I could think of...when I was close to a headache, the above image popped into my head. I saw this chap during my time at the Hyeres Festival and like most people just couldn't stop staring at his mix of floral prints (I mentioned him in a post way back in May). He approached the prints without fear and although it probably shouldn't have worked, it most certainly did.

For me, floral prints are a little tricky to wear well but rather than be put off by them we should see them as a challenge. If you are feeling far from brave why not try sporting this silk Liberty print pockerchief? Blindman's Circus recently featured Floral Pins by Kate Cusack which would surely finish off almost any outfit...This Spring we should all take the time to pick some flowers.

7 comments:

Izzy said...

I think florals had their moment circa 2005-2006, well at least for me. And I just recently purged my closet of the Paul Smith floral shirts I used to love so dearly. The new ones I'm seeing don't seem to be any much different from those shirts. I don't know, isn't it a little too early to bring them back?

Style Salvage Steve said...

izzydore - As flowers are a constant feature of all our Springs, it is little surpise to see the print back again. The liberty print are classics so it would be nice to find new ways to integrate them into everyday wear. Rather than used merely in shirts, I'd like to see them used in accessories as well.

Ian Brown said...

I've never worn anything floral in my adult memory. I'm definitely up to it, but I feel there must be some sort of modern example that hasn't caught on yet other than grandma furniture type prints.

Matthew Spade said...

i once saw a 80s paul smith shirt which was actually made up of lots of red and green apples but from a distance it looked like a flora shirt, il be looking for something like that in the coming months!

RetroVintageModStyle said...

I'm just not a big fan of florals, but I do however like paisley, yet I'm kind of picky when choosing some prints...

I didn't like pretty much the trends mentioned on menstyle.com, I thought they seemed a bit obvious. The only one I liked was the white trend.

PinkBow said...

not a bad thing to look to morissey circa the smiths for inspiration! xoxo

Emma Homestay Bandar Tasik Puteri said...

I totally love floral prints on a shirt. In fact I have a woman's blouse tailored because it has an interesting mix of floral prints!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails