Monday 12 October 2009

Louis, Louis, oh baby...

So for those who didn't see my twitter update on Saturday afternoon, we finished (a close) third (out of three) in the Fashion Hunt around Antwerp. The teams who finished in front of us demonstrated a combination of map reading accuracy and speed whilst we showcased a more gentle, measured approach, meandering our way through the city whilst taking far too many photos (as Susie's pretty collages demonstrate). In short, Aesop lied...slow and steady doesn't win the race when you are up against stylish, highly motivated and organised bloggers from Amsterdam and Paris! Despite coming last we had a lot of fun and our efforts were rewarded with gift vouchers to spend at either; Hospital (a relatively new concept store housed in a former horse stables), Elsa (a shoe and accessory boutique) and last but certainly not least Louis. Despite currently suffering from shoe buying fever I resisted the temptation for yet another whiff of that new shoe smell and headed to Louis...

Where I invested my wooden spoon prize...

An Antwerp institution, Louis was one of the first stores in Belgium to carry the work of the local and considerable design talent. Today, the boutique carries a sizable collection of Maison Martin Margiela and pieces by A.F. Vandevorst and Ann Demeulemeester. In addition to local designer fare, the shop also stocks Rick Owens, Balenciaga, and Lanvin to name only a few. Having had to recently throw away the only piece of Margiela in my wardrobe (a white tshirt bought cheaply from Century21 which just fell apart from far too much wear and tear) and inspired by oki-ni's recently unveiled archive/shrine to the influential Belgian designer, I headed straight to the MMM pieces.

The Maison Martin Margiela accessories caught my eye as soon as we entered the menswear area.

The inner Geography teacher lurking deep inside of me was instantly drawn to the ultra soft knitwear complete with fine grain leather elbow patches. I was initially taken with the camel v-neck cardigan (also available on oki-ni) but ultimately my mixed feelings towards the colour forced me to look again. In the end I plumped for a simple, softer than soft, v neck knit complete with matching leather elbow pads in an autumnal shade of forest green.

A close up on those shoulder pads, Miss Ash (my old Geography teacher) would be so proud.

The October Look from Fantastic Man that divided you lot has certainly left an impression on me. My initial style admiration has evolved in to something much more consumerist. The time where I jump in to some crisp Autumn leaves whilst singing 'Kumbayah' might be sooner than you think!

Carolyn Massey for Topman Lens scarf coat, new Maison Martin Margiela knit, blue corduroy shirt, purple jeans and grey socks all from Uniqlo, bag from COS and shoes by Mr. Hare.

Catastrophe almost struck though when my stomach cravings for something typically Belgian diverted my attentions away from my new purchase. After filling my craving belly by scoffing down a giant, ice cream topped waffle from the too tempting Desire de Lille all thoughts about my recent purchase evaporated and I left my shopping bag under neath the table. Thankfully a fellow diner chased after me as I waddled off down the street and reintroduced me to my forgotten friend. Catastrophe averted thanks to the fine people of Antwerp!

A close up of the tasty waffle which almost cost me my knit.

8 comments:

naboonies said...

such a lovely pop of colour on you!

Matthew Spade said...

seems like it wasn't too bad finishing last then eh. leather elbow pads on a jumper, thats genius. did they have the MMM book, thats on the top of my book list right now.

Style Salvage Steve said...

Naboonies: Thanks, I think the autumnal palette suits my skin tones better than many others.
Mat: Yes, I think the leather elbow pads really add something to the fine, soft knitwear. I didn't see the MMM book at Louis but I did have a quick flick through at the bookstore at MoMu. It would demand a mighty stylish coffee table though.

Giancinephile said...

I think I would find it hard to resist a pair of shoes from Elsa!!! haha

Meanwhile, Tim Van Steenbergen's menswear is another motivation to go to Antwerp.

Luxury ties maker said...

Such a lovely combination!! i love the contrast betwwen the purple and blue

Adam said...

Really beautiful colour combinations show here.

This chick's got style said...

Hi steve!
That jumper is gorgeous indeed :D I still have to go back to pick something out at Louis since we didn't have enough time. So if I can't find anything I should just get your jumper in a size xs hahah!
x! yara

TheSundayBest said...

There is a young man who sometimes works at a Portuguese coffee shop I frequent that dresses very similar to this.

He might, granted, have some sort of mental illness. And make his own clothes. But there's something there...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails