Sunday 9 December 2007

Darjeeling has trunks full of style

The weekend gave me opportunity to watch Wes Anderson's new film The Darjeeling Limited. As usual with Anderson there is minute attention to details and design which extends to clothes; the monogrammed pyjamas, the sunflower coloured bathrobe, the loafers etc. Throughout the film Anderson creates a jovial contrast of Westerners' neutral-toned suits against the hot ochres and turquoises of India (if you are interested most of the movie was filmed in Rajasthan). I want to explore this mix of vibrant colour and neutral tones in the spring, if done well this look will have a great deal of impact, as it did in the film. In another life, Anderson might have been a Dutch genre painters to whom the details of light, domesticity and clothing were the lifeblood of their art and a way to express the everyday humanity of their subjects. A common critique of Anderson's film is that the appurtenances of style are there to amuse himself rather than to uncover an emotional truth; in short all surface and little depth. I am not a film critic but for what my opinion is worth I enjoyed the film (some aspects more than others) but overall it was a pleasant way to spend an evening and gave me a chance to eat sweet popcorn and drink from a ridiculously oversized Coke cup.

One of the stars of this film doesn't even have a speaking part... I could be talking about Bill Murray but I'm not. It's the 11 pieces of distinctive Louis Vuitton luggage made specifically for the movie. The luggage was designed by Marc Jacobs for Louis Vuitton and includes monogrammed steamer trunks, duffels, and suitcases covered in a jungle pattern created by Anderson's brother, Eric. I must admit though I am turned off by them because they are LV but forgetting my own bias these are really nice pieces and they ignite a desire deep inside me to own monogrammed luggage. In fact I quite want to explore charity shops and see whether I can find an old and battered piece of monogrammed luggage. I don't really want my own initials inscribed on the leather- S.S is not needed- just any combination of letters will satisfy me. Let the luggage foraging begin...

EJ: I've not seen the film yet (the weather is far too grim to venture outside), though have managed to find some nice luggage here and here (ridiculously lovely). Not quite the cheap second-hand shop prices I'm sure you were thinking of though. I must say though, if I was going for Louis Vuitton, I would be gunning for this beauty. I've longed for one of these after seeing them in a Fred Astaire film and I'm convinced that it's the epitome of cool travelling.

3 comments:

heather said...

There has never been a poorly dressed wes anderson character (even the red track suits in the royal tenenbaum were great), so I guess it's no surprise that the luggage was dressed to the nines.
I also have that desire for monogrammed luggage and I have no need for it.

Unknown said...

mmm.....

Thomas said...

The movie = must see. The luggage...eh. But it did inspire me to find a legacy bag for my unborn children.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails