Wednesday 5 December 2007

The Scarf Post

I'm feeling languid after an unexpected day off (God bless minor fires and power cuts) and a glass and a half of red wine, so thought it time to do the Scarf Post. We thought about this about two months ago (the photos themselves are a month old) so it's a bit overdue. It came about when thinking about the different ways that people can and do wear scarves and wincing at the term 'snug tug'. Steve is our willing model, skillfully directed by me (i.e. told to 'look cold'). So let's begin.

The undercoat, understated:
Best done with a thinner scarf so as not to ruin the line of your coat/jacket and on milder days as this basically provides little to no warmth whatsoever. A more decorative (poser-y?) way of wearing a scarf, perhaps providing a contrast to the rest of your outfit, or a flash of colour. I bought Steve this scarf by the way, so I think it's quite nifty.

The show-off:This is almost wearing a scarf as a tie and works best with scarves with a really flashy detail as on this me&yu number. This can be a bit annoying to wear, particularly on windy days as you will probably be constantly fiddling with it to make sure the main design is on display. It does keep your neck relatively warm though and really can liven up a wintery outfit.

The controversial:
So called as I've heard a lot of people complain about how prevalent this way of wearing scarves is. Still, it's easy and very very cosy. Works best for shortening a longer scarf as it can look a bit weird with just a little bit of fabric sticking out the end. Basically created by folding the scarf in half and pushing the ends through the loop created. Did that make sense? I don't think so, but I'm sure everyone in the world knows how to do this. Also, I MADE this scarf. It took FOREVER.

The loop-de-loop:Totally easy and perfect on very long scarves like this one. Wrap, then wrap again, long bits down the front. My personal favourite at the moment, just because it's so warm and you're not constantly having to fling a bit of scarf over your shoulder (however dramatic that is). This can even in seconds become the wrap:

though I'm not sure if this is a bit much. However, I'm sure that this can be done a lot more neatly and look a lot better as this was a bit of an afterthought.

The extravagant:

Don't worry, we're nearly finished. This is, on a practical level, a largely pointless way of wearing a scarf. In no way will it keep your neck warm as the scarf is on the outside of the collar and, as such, no where near your neck. Still, I suppose it could be a nice way of storing a scarf if it's milder than you expected, or maybe if you're popping in and out of shops. Plus, once again, it's a nice way to break up the blackness of a winter coat and add a bit of colour (yes, I know this scarf is beige but that's not the point.

And finally...

The cheesy, FUCK YEAH:Oh yeah. And if you don't mind, I'm off to watch TV and hopefully not freak myself out any more by identifying an exact location in London simply from a 2 second close up of a phone booth.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ingenious!

Steve's every bit the male model. At the moment my Topman scarf finds itself in 'loop-de-loop' or on occasion 'the controversial'.

I'm itching for a little of the 'extravagant' right now.

And a new scarf too..that'd prob be useful.

DCB.

Thomas said...

I actually found this very useful.

Unknown said...

ugh scarves are quite hard to wear.. so i tend to avoid them... but interesting nonetheless

j said...

I love scarves. When it gets cold, and it does where I live, they are very practical and they are a fun and flexible way to dress up a winter coat. I own about ten of them, from a conservative blue cashmere to a batik print.

Style Salvage Steve said...

DCB - you make me blush! Unfortunatley i am not tall enough and just don't have the cheekbones, i am blessed with chubby cheeks!
James - Scarves can be hard to wear but they are a hugely important accessory and as J proves it helps if you have a nice collection.

Unknown said...

a superlative collection of scarves on a superlative blogger. I tend to go betwen a loop-de-loop and a half-show-off with more of a knot than an over the top. This style of post needs replicating...
xS

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails