Saturday 17 January 2009

In the Market for Spring

Susie posted about our afternoon trip to Dover Street Market where we watched the biannual transformation of the store, out with the old and in with S/S 09., but I just two add my two pennies worth. If I wasn't longing for someone to hit the fast forward button on this grey, dull winter enough already, this visit to Dover Street Market was the straw which broke this camel's back. I no longer long for Spring, I demand it!


As always the third floor is my favourite, as Alber Elbaz knows how to put on a good show and his space, in particular his menswear space is encroaching and indeed taking over other areas. The Lanvin show held joint first placed (in my mind) with Burberry with creating the menswear that I'd love to wear and seeing the collection in person only confirmed my choice. The mix of fabrics, textures and subtle tones helped create an almost perfect Spring collection. I just wanted to run off with the chap mannequin who was watching over the web chat scenario because it was styled so well....

As amazing as the third floor was, it was great to see these blinding accessories by Raf Simons up close and personal...I could actually see my face in the reflective surface. EJ posted a link to them over on our twitter last week and the most common reaction was simply 'Wow!' I have to say, that when I saw them in the store, my subconscious mutterings echoed that reaction. They certainly are statement accessories and if they are blinding in the middle of a grey January, I can only think that once worn in July as the sun crashes (hopefully) down us they will create an Antony Gormley 'White Light' world...Just imagine what would happen if a cyclist wore the hi tops at the height of Summer, it would certainly end in bloody tears...

I have said it before but if you are ever in London, my advice to you is avoid the usual, over crowded department stores and take a walk through Dover Street Market and you can thank me later.

8 comments:

Ian Brown said...

I think these are incredible but I'd be afraid if I wore them in the day I'd blind someone. I once got flashed by a pair of gold laceups, Louis Vuittons I believe, on the way to work. I was not happy. I think metallics are best for the evening.

Style Salvage Steve said...

Ian Brown: There is no doubt these are incredible and I share your fear. I remember those gold LV lace ups but fortunately my eye sight has not been blighted by seeing them in person. Metallics should come with a warning...

Matthew Spade said...

man that sure is a silver bag! quite remarkable, i bet the looked more like art than fashion in real life too. Im coming down to london early next month for 3 days so i will have to go to DSM, is it easy to find?

chael said...

wow, that bag is basically a mirror you can carry stuff in.

Joe George said...

Dear EJ and Steve,
Fantastic Blog. Really interesting (I must admit I have gone through your archive reading all of it about 7 times now). I too have started a blog and if you would have some extra time please do visit it.

Joe G. - Prada Play

Anonymous said...

I found your blog from Susie Bubble and I love your view of fashion from a man's eye! This will probably sound strange, but how tall are you? I'm really envious that you and your girlfriend can share clothes. My boyfriend is 6'3" and all of his shirts/jackets come down to my knees!

Style Salvage Steve said...

Mat Ahoy: The bag would not look out of place in a glass cabinet! It is easy to find. A short walk from Green Park tube.
Chael: The bad has soo many uses!
Joe George: Welcome to the wonderful world of blogging. I will be a regular visitor!
Alice: Thanks! Alas, I'm nowhere near 6'3", if only I was! I am 5'10" but relatively happy with it.

whats-he-wearing.com said...

i've not visited dsm for ages, i think it's time i pay a visit again!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails