Saturday 10 January 2009

Your lapel has options

As soon as I clicked on Valet (for my daily dose) yesterday I was treated to another look at Antonio Azzuolo ss09 collection. I have to admit that I gave most of the Spring/Summer 09 shows little more than an unimpressed, fleeting glance...more fool me. A couple of month on and now I am finding myself noticing more and more from these collections. Antonio Azzuolo collections are always styled well and this time round the flowers in the lapels were replaced with pinned plumage (designed by Brooklyn Artist Christian Fastrup) which dandified the collection. The feathers were the highlight for me and now need to beg/borrow/steal or indeed make something similar.

As I debated with myself as to which feathers would look best in each of my jackets, I noticed the below text...

"You likely haven't tacked anything onto your jacket's lapel since senior prom, but these jaunty feather boutonnieres have a lot more style than that little flower
."

This is sadly true for a lot of us...I guess when we are feeling crazy we might pin a flower (or at the very least a poppy on Remembrance Sunday) but on the whole, our lapel is often naked. In recent weeks I've noticed that there are a wealth of options to dress up an old/new jacket. Below are my two current favourites and ones I'm eager to try...

Feathers


According to Valet and Antonio Azzuollo, 'Real Men wear feathers.' I'm not sure that I consider myself a real man...I would still class myself as something much more like boy like...but I aspire to wear feathers, peacock and pheasant feathers in particular. As soon as I get the chance I will take a trip in to central to marvel at the plumage on offer at MacCulloch&Wallis (the best haberdashery around). The Valet feature showcases handmade feather pins by a German company which has been producing them in a small factory on the outskirts of the Black Forest since 1924, and they a bargain at $40 from the Cooper-Hewitt museum shop.

Lego


This is probably the lapel choice of the moment. Will it last? Who cares, I just like Lego so why not have a little fun with it! As soon as the Lego brooch appeared on the lapel of Kanye's well cut suit during the promotion of 808s and Heartbreak, it was destined to be talked about and desired by many. We featured the designer twins (Dee & Ricky) who were responsible for the brooch but this would make for a relatively easy DIY project. I really wish I hadn't had to throw all of my bricks away...Brandish recently suggested Hamba beads as a cheap alternative.

These are just two of my current favourite ways to breathe fresh life (and colour) into a suit jacket. The options really are endless. I plan on experimenting with as many as I can this Spring, including the floral pins by Kate Cusack I mentioned yesterday (thanks again to Blindman's Circus for bringing these to my attention)....Of course once Spring actually comes, there will be a plethora of real flowers to pick from...then again as EJ posted last Valentines Day there are always flowers out there which can be clipped and pinned on to brighten any winter coat all you have to do is look for them.

Which lapel accessory is to your personal taste?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kanye should let Skateboard P be Skateboard P

Percy Chatsworth said...

Pinning nice white flowers to my lapels on days when I feel particularly dandy always lifts my day. I also find that it draws many eyes to me.

I will have to go through my Lego tonight and make myself a heart. I certainly have the required pieces!

Candidly Chris said...

I love the feathers. I am going to have to add that to my list of things to find!

Ian Brown said...

Speaking of Legos, what do you think of Jean-Charles de Castelbajac's Lego collection?

Style Salvage Steve said...

Michelle McCormack - I refuse to call him Skateboard P.
Percy Chatsworth - It is how much difference a solitary flower can make. Keep turning heads and let us know how you get on with you lego...
Emerald Dandy - I had a look today but couldn't quite find good enough quality pheasant feathers...my search continues. Good luck with yours!
Ian Brown - I would love to visit JCdC's lego world!

fuchsiaboy said...

i have some insect pins i allow to crawl in my lapel :)

the lego is cute but too marc jacobs for my taste.

Matthew Spade said...

hum i like them both and i had quite an obbsession wih lego last year when i did a trend prediction and i included some close up shots. but personally i think id be more likely to wear a feather of some sort, and now i will be on the look out! call me inspired.

Unknown said...

This is exactly what I need for that Junk de Luxe blazer that's been boring me lately...

/Cillian.

Anonymous said...

I move my all saints ramskull pin from blazer to blazer, i was unsure about the brand recognition factor (was it too like a logo?) but got over it...I love the pin too much. I'd like a little moustache shaped pin next. Or possibly one of a cat

Ca said...

I love feathers but not so keen on the Lego. I used play with Lego but no, not as part of the wardrobe.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails