Thursday 12 March 2009

Magazines in the spotlight: Man About Town

After months of waiting we have well and truly hit magazine season, so much so that it is hard to keep up and make the time to sit down and actually read them. Oh it is a hard life. Why can't they space publication out a little more. I'm over dosing on glossy pages right now after months of going cold turkey. Just like the number 43 bus, three publications have arrived all together, Fantastic Man (hallelujah), Another Man and Man About Town (new site as well). My commute into the office has been made all the more brighter, who cares if my face is mere millimetres across from the armpit of a fellow traveller, I will make room to read! First out of the bag is Man About Town...

Whatever your thoughts on the Jamie Hince by Hedi Slimane cover (for the record, my thoughts are best described by..meh) it is what inside which makes the magazine truly special. One of my favourite features is the 'what we like' section which looks at everything from Acne Studios office to recommendations on how to achieve the perfect shave to the perfect wine. Also in this issue in the aptly named Men About Town piece where they talked to the leading men of Paris (including Andre and Olivier Zahm), Berlin (Christopher Roth, Joerg Koch) and New York (Adam Kimmel, Sean MacPherson).

The wonderfully shot editorials showcase the very best of menswear and one of my favourites is the tribute to Yves which is something special but the whole magazine is strong on the styles I love.

Ever since it burst on to the scene, Man About Town has guaranteed a highly enjoyable, informative, and, dare I say, beautiful read. The latest issue is no exception as it contains a carefully acquired collection of interesting people's ideas and experiences, providing articles which I love to read and accompanied by my kind of fashion. Thank goodness for magazines like this one and Fantastic Man, without them the world in my opinion would be a little duller...at the very least my morning commute would be.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Am deeply ashamed to say I still haven't obtained a copy of this supposedly stellar publication. Shall have to subscribe soon. Nice review.

/Male Mode.

Anonymous said...

This is great - it looks like a good read. Thanks. On a different note can you do an item about the service people get in stores - as yesterday I visited Lanvin on the basis of you raving about the collection and I was sorely disappointed with the level of service in there. In fact there are quite a few shops which have bad service - mcqueen and prada to name but a few. It totally ruins the experience. However shops which are great on service in my mind are Martin Margiela, Yves st Laurent, Marc Jacobs, Browns, B store and the shop at Bluebird. the service in these shops is efficient, effective and helpful. They know just the right level of intervention and assistance someone needs, where as in Mcqueen for example the male assistants there are horrific and could not be less helpful.

Giancinephile said...

For the record, I think Hince on the cover is so much better than those previous ones with Hayden "not really a good actor" Christensen and James "not so talented" Franco. Well, that's just me though.

Their articles are also good in terms of diversity but if in any case they'd reach bookstores in my city, I shall be thinking twice on purchasing it as it's around 6 or 7 times the cover price tag over here. haha

Steve, do you mind sharing a peek of the images on Camilla Akrans' tribute to YSL? haha

Giancinephile said...

But then come to think of it I'm totally biased towards Hollywood so that clearly explains it... haha

ELVIA said...

oh i adore your blog and i'm a total mag addict!!

where can i find+purchase "man about town"? borders? b&n?
xo.

we could grow up 2gether said...

been a fan since issue one, man about town is the best mens rag ON EARTH!

Anonymous said...

Everyone need to have at least one tailored suit!

Larapixie said...

love it!

Anonymous said...

Best issue so far.

Anonymous said...

Do these magazines have a digital version to their print counterparts? Please let me know as I cant get a hold of them here in the third world!

Rem said...

Man about town is a cheap copy of Fantastic Man - they have copied the sleak Dutch look to the tee. I would buy Fantastic Man over MAT any day - I think you should make your choice and back the original - nice try though.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails