Tuesday 28 July 2009

Picture Postcard: Milan Vukmirovic and the importance of accessories

Milan Vukmirovic captured by the Sartorialist

Beneath his shot, Scott confessed "The belt is such a simple accessory, and yet I am just now really learning how to use one successfully" and I have to say I feel exactly the same. Here, the belt is elevated from humble bit part accessory in to a head turning, statement piece. When I wear a belt I usually hide it and function reigns over aesthetic but why not have both? I must go belt shopping this weekend. If you are interested in the details of this particular belt, after a little late night accessory hunting I discovered that it is a blue and white embroidered belt from YSL's Cruise Spring 09 collection, I don't think the term accessory does it justice.

As a regular reader of The Sartorialist for the last few years, I always enjoy recognising those who Scott focusses his camera on. Milan Vukmirovic frequently pops up and always looks effortlessly stylish making him one of my favourite subjects. For those of you who don't recognise the name or face, he is something of a retail visionary as well as menswear designer and photographer. After co-founding Colette, he worked alongside Tom Ford at Gucci and succeeded Jil Sander when the beloved designer was ousted. Now the 36-year-old Frenchman is creative director at L’Officiel Hommes, menswear designer for Trussard and has his fingers in far too many other pies to mention. GQ recently ran a piece on Milan where he talked about his style, below is my favourite quote and I will leave you with this:

I go to L.A. and people tell me, ‘I love the way you dress, but I could never do that because everyone will think I’m gay.’ American guys worry too much about what others think. Fashion is fun, and you should be able to play with your look.”

4 comments:

mensfashiondeals said...

I agree! If you spend all your time wondering what other's are going to think of your look you'll end up being just another boring person who blends into the crowd. I'm not staying to go crazy, but you have to have a bit of fun from time to time.

Giancinephile said...

A very spot on insight from Mr. Vukmirovic!!

jameskent said...

great comment - i'm currently wearing a fairly deep cut unconditional knit - had a couple of comments in the office and replied with "i'm going for a gay italian look today" - I enjoy playing around with my look, keeps things interesting.

Addy said...

I had the luck to have met him in person and he's tall and very chic... always stylishly dressed and a very nice person..

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails