Monday 13 October 2008

The desert boot - defying the sands of time

I'm not too are whether it was the Kentish sand that ran between my toes (it was beautiful weather over the weekend) or maybe it was Brandish informing me of a new release by Clarks but my love for Desert Boots have grown significantly in the last few days. Of course the classic desert boot is by Clarks Originals but there are a number of great alternatives out there! I wanted to give you some interesting facts about the history of the shoe but wikipedia let me down (the entry had been deleted), fortunately Oi Polloi informs me that the desert boot was created in 1950 by Nathan Clark after he got the idea from crepe-soled, rough suede boots which officers in the Eighth Army were in the habit of getting made in the Bazaar at Cairo. Since 1950 this soft, floppy, ankle high boot has become something of an icon, continuing to defy the sands of time. Here are my favourites:

Pierre Hardy available at trebienshop, Clarks Originals available at Clarks, Aquascutum and Common Projects versions both available at farfetch

4 comments:

Giancinephile said...

I love that pair from Clarks. It's been a while since I last stepped into a pair from them.

The Common Projects and Pierre Hardy are also sure winners.

Getting into the Desert Boot fever as well...

Matthew Spade said...

ohh clarks desert boots are great, one of my closest friend has been wearing them since he was young and he swears by them. he has some with a extra seam down the middle, which are a quirky alternative, have you seen that style?

Style Salvage Steve said...

I very nearly bought a pair of Clarks in grey suede two weekends running, it was EJ who put me off both times with her words of warning that they might not last too long in the wet winter...the new Clarks get round this problem and look even better!
Mat - I've not seen them, there are so many varieties it's going to be difficult just choosing one pair...I might just turn into a desert boot collector.

Unknown said...

Clarks Mens Originals Desertboot in Sand. An international cult classic, the Desert Boot was inspired by the crepe-soled boots worn by British offers in World War II. Soft, supple suede full grain leather uppers and genuine plantation crepe outsole deliver all-day comfort. Timeless styling has remained unchanged for fifty years.


------------------
hesslei.....

social network advertising

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails