Sunday 26 October 2008

Is the thin man redefining fashion for his generation?


I only recently stumbled across the photos and musings of Bill Cunningham of The New York Times (after a reader pointed me in his direction). During my lazy weekend I have managed to catch up on the internet world and that included a visit to the New York Times Photographer's page where I came across his ideas on a new generation of men in New York. For Bill there has been an interesting evolution in men's style, with a new thin silhouette having reached the streets of New York in all its conservative force. After more than a decade where young men either cared nothing for clothes and more in frequenting the gym, or chose to dress like slobs. Now a younger generation are neat, precisely dressed and sleek are to the photographer's eye showing the future. Up to this point I am right there will Bill, nodding approvingly all the way BUT then he loses me by discussing the sobering economic period as reason why these men are dressing as they are and will continue to do so. There can be little doubt that (thankfully) there are an increased number of men who are taking an interest in men's fashion and most importantly their own style. The reasons why there has been this shift in male attitudes to their clothes is less clear. Is it really that important? Let's just continue to celebrate it.

10 comments:

Ian Brown said...

Slim-fitting upstreet suits have more do with The Strokes than the stockmarket.

kteeo said...

No I don't think the current state of menswear has anything to do with the economic condition. The slim silhouette comes from various designers most notably Hedi Slimane. Men are more into fashion now and like you said lets celebrate.

Giancinephile said...

I do believe menswear will start continue to grow and evolve. Perhaps fashion is also acquired taste, not everyone would live by it especially the men but change is always present so we'll never know...

Style Salvage Steve said...

ian brown - Funny you should mention the Strokes. A number of Bill Cunningham illustrative shots made me think of the band!
kteeo - Lets throw a party.
giancinephile - I can get carried away in my own little bubble and assume that all men are interested in fashion and stlye to the same extent as me. My bubble often breaks when I actually speak to people.

Ian Brown said...

Yeah. Call me crazy, but I think Hedi Slimane was inspired by what was happening in the indie rock scene first. Indie-rock bands like Babyshambles and The Strokes were sporting tapered skinny jeans and fitted blazers and that's when the look started showing up on the Dior Catwalks.

SelectismJason said...

I think Hedi has noted that the music scene influenced him and still does today, didn't he do a photo book about bands on tour or something recently?

Also, I'm pretty tired of everyone linking fashion to the economy, especially as younger generations don't pay any attention to the economy unless it's unavoidable (as it has been lately). I certainly don't know anyone who says 'The stocks are down, I think I'll wear black today'.

TheSundayBest said...

His comment was confusing and seemed a reach. But then he IS Bill Cunningham...

Style Salvage Steve said...

ian brown & selectismjason: Hedi was certainly inspired and still is by the kids within music scenes. His photo diary is well worth a look!
There is a daily stream lazy style journalism out there contantly looking at ways to conclude about the impact of the economy on style. I read today that sales of white shirts have sky rocketed since the doom and gloom of the economy apparently because city boys are opting for a more sober appearance. Yawn.

Style Salvage Steve said...

thesundaybest: I'm new to the world of Bill Cunnigham but my early observations make me understand your point.

Ca said...

Hmmm... I haven't heard of this Cunningham but I must say that I like the way things are evolving in terms of male fashion. More daring, diverse. Just more interesting, really.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails