Monday 11 May 2009

Anyone for a game of Tennis?

Fred Perry in action...

Now that the football season is officially over (well, not technically officially but as good as, Arsenal's home defeat at the hands of Chelsea was the metaphorical fat woman singing and I've thrown in the towel) my need to support something or someone needs to be filled, so why not turn to the genteel game of tennis? I have often found it difficult to get excited by the Summer sports but over the last couple of years I have found myself enjoying Wimbledon and as Andy Murray has just broken in to the top three ranked players in the world, who knows, I might even see a British chap crowned champion.

The last British man to do so was Fred Perry. Over the course of my train ride home I read an interesting piece on Fred Perry in the Observer. Of course, Perry is best known today for the chain of leisurewear that bears his illustrious name but almost three quarters of a century ago he was crowned Britain's prince of tennis and even wooed Hollywood's top stars. The first biography of the tennis star, The Last Champion, paints Perry as the heart throb of his day as he dated the world's most beautiful women including Marlene Dietrich, Jean Harlow and Bette Davis. Who knew tennis players could be so darn exciting?!

In an earlier post I mentioned that for SS09 Thom Browne surprised us all with with a tennis embroidered line incorporating skirts and kilts, plaids paired with paisley and low cut trousers complete with terrycloth headbands and armbands, duly reminding me that this year I need to throw a Wimbledon party. Rather than wearing the short shorts of the 70s or the baggy shorts of today I will aspire to dress like the Gentleman of the 30s and 40s, for which Perry is certainly the pin up.

I scoured the High Street and t'internet to come up with my interpretation of how this iconic look could be worn quite happily today away from Centre Court...or at the very least worn to my Wimbledon themed summer shindig. The obvious starting point was a white polo shirt and there really is no need to look any further than this iconic Fred Perry polo which has received a little twist by Raf Simons (available at oki-ni). The trouser choice was a little more difficult because white trousers are notoriously difficult to pull off so I plumped for a pair of beige fine cotton double pleated trousers by Uniqlo. As you can see that I was somewhat indecisive over the choice of footwear which is why I have presented two options. Option one is for the sportier chap and is a pair of low slung YMC slip ons (available at oki-ni) whereas option two comes from Yohji Yamamoto and is a pair of white leather brogues (available at FarFetch). As this look in inspired by a a true champion (off and off the court) I felt the look needed something a little bit special and this is where the simply wonderful Lou Dalton hand knit cardigan comes in (available at Daniel Jenkins). You might have noticed that I just could not resist topping the look off with a towel headband but this would only be worn at the party with a wooden racket in one hand and a glass of Pimms in the other.

3 comments:

James said...

I'll give you a game. I love the choices here and that knit really is something special

Michael said...

Loving white shoes for the summer - those brogues are lovely. A definite alternative to the ubiquitous boat shoe.

Ca said...

I see you're still on with the tennis game themed Summer party, good!

I say the white leather brogues and by all means, top it all with the headband, haha.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails